Blender bottles have quickly become a fan favorite for fitness enthusiasts. Making a protein shake or healthy shake on the go is so much easier. However, maintaining them is a different story; you have to keep your blender bottles clean and odor free to enjoy your morning shakes.
Are blender bottles dishwasher safe? It all depends on the type of material the blender bottle is made of or the manufactures. For the average blender bottle/shake cup, you will have to look at the individual brands information to see whether the appliance is dishwasher safe or not. Information on the care and maintenance of the specific product is usually on the brand’s website or comes with the product’s user manual.
How to clean your blender bottles
Blender bottles are convenient, but like other appliances they have advantages and disadvantages. One of the main problems with blender bottles is that the are quick to absorb their contents and this can eventually turn into an unpleasant smell especially when not cleaned thoroughly.
This is very common especially for plastic blender bottles. They get leftover residue that leads to an unpleasant smell or even staining in some cases.
How to clean your blender bottle in the dishwasher?
While most blenders are dishwasher safe, you still need to be very careful while handling them. In cases where your blender bottle has unpleasant odors and stains, dishwashers may not be very helpful. To clean it, you will need to handwash.
How to handwash your blender bottle when it is stained and has an odor
- Fill up your blender bottle with warm water. Remember, hot water may ruin your plastic blender bottle.
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda to the water followed by half a teaspoon of vinegar and a squeeze of lemon. You will notice foaming from the reaction of baking soda to the vinegar.
- Shake it up with the metallic ball inside then let this sit for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Pour out the mixture and wash your blender bottle with lukewarm water, regular dishwashing soap and a sponge.
- Rinse out the blender bottle thoroughly with lukewarm water and let it dry.
- This process is very helpful in getting rind of foul odor and food residue inside your blender bottle.
Another way to remove odour off blender bottles is by using vanilla extract. How does it work? The first step is to sprinkle some water on a piece of paper, add a few vanilla extracts drop and place the paper inside the blender bottle. Close the lid and let it sit for a day. Once 24 hours are over, remove the paper and clean the blender bottle thoroughly. It should no longer have the odor after cleaning.
How to wash your blender bottle after normal use
- If your blender does not have any odor or stains, you won’t need extra special methods to wash it.
- All you need is lukewarm water and a light dishwashing soap.
- Clean up the blender bottle, together with all removable parts and the metal ball.
- Rinse out thoroughly and let them drip dry before reattaching the pieces together. Make sure the metallic ball is dry before you place it back into the blender. Even though the metallic balls are rust-free, it is safer to ensure its dry so you can prevent any rust from forming just in case.
Here are tips that will help you maintain your blender bottle during cleaning
Many blender bottle manufacturers recommend that you lay detached pieces of the blender bottled directly on the utensil tray with other dished while washing. However, the safer way to wash them is to place them on the top rack to prevent any kind of damage during washing.
Ensure to check for specific information regarding the cleaning of your blender bottle by the manufacturer. You should get the information simply by checking on the user manual that come with the blender bottle or looking on the manufacturer’s website for the information.
Don’t not, for any reason, rinse your blender bottle with hot or boiling water. Blender bottles cannot be used to blend hot boiling liquids as they are made of plastic. The plastic material is not meant to bear such high temperatures. This means when washing in a dishwasher, you are not meant to use hot water. This is why it is strongly suggested to wash the blender bottles at the top rack, to prevent them from getting into direct contact with the not water at the bottom.
Intense heat from hot water can also cause your blender bottle’s lid to crack. Without its lid, a blender bottle is almost completely useless. Handwashing the lid can help you avoid such major damage that will require you to spend money on a new blender or lid.
If your blender bottle has some residue and odor from the last food, you put in, warm water can be used to remove that. Using hot water my seem like a better way to get your blender bottle clean faster but you risk damaging the bottle for good.
While may blender bottles are dishwasher safe, it would be better to hand wash them most of the time. This way, your get to maintain the shape of the blender bottle and they last you longer. Washing your blender bottles in the dishwasher risks getting them deformed or the dishwasher may be unable to thoroughly clan the inside.
Why do my blender bottle lids keep cracking?
Extremely high heat while washing the blender bottle lid can cause it to crack. To prevent this, make sure you wash the lid with lukewarm temperature. If the problem persists, maybe you should consider getting yourself a different brand of shaker bottle.
Are glass blender bottles dishwasher safe?
Glass blender bottles/shaker bottles are made with high quality glass and reinforced with silicone. It is safe to place them in the top rack of the dishwasher with lukewarm or cold water to prevent cracking.